Thursday 21 April 2011

Final technical details

If you play for long enough, you realise most bowlers can be grouped into certain categories. It's all about being prepared for each one. Won't be of any use to non-left handers.

Archetype A: The utter bastard
Bowls right arm, usually over the wicket but sometimes round, brings it back in. If it swings, you're quite likely to get out bowled or LBW. If doesn't, you nick it behind.
Tactics: Take middle and leg as a guard. Open stance so I'm driving slightly towards mid on. Do not play across the line, however tempting it seems.
Where I'm looking to score: With the pull and cut if he drops shot, through mid on, midwicket and square leg if he drifts too far towards the pads. Nowhere else if he doesn't.
Where I will score: Mostly in leg byes or down to fine leg with Chinese cuts. Possibly off the stumps if he bowls me with a no ball.

Archetype B: The complete shit
Bowls right arm over the wicket, takes it away.
Tactics: Have middle stump as a guard so eye line is over off stump. Leave anything outside it. Be very wary of trying to hit anything through the leg side.
Where I'm looking to score: Maybe through the covers if it's absolutely there for it. Otherwise nowhere, unless he drops short.
Where I will score: Exclusively through the slips.

Archetype C: The absolute tosser
Bowls off-spin from over the wicket, packs the off side, leaves a massive gap at midwicket, floats everything on leg stump
Tactics: Take a middle and leg guard. Do not mow across line. Instead concentrate on putting away the half volley, full toss or short ball.
Where I'm looking to score: Through the covers. Only on the leg side if by some accident I've got to the pitch of the ball or he's really got his line wrong.
Where I will score: In mistimed hoiks over midwicket before being bowled for single figures.

Archetype D: The twat
Bowls really fast.
Tactics: Park yourself on the back foot, swish at it as hard as you can if it's short. Hope you get something on it if it isn't.
Where I'm looking to score: Anywhere.
Where I will score: In top edges over the keeper/I won't.


9 comments:

  1. I am all of these bowlers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think, perhaps, you over-think things a little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to think about that one Marrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, off spinner floating balls up on leg, to be honest the only thing I'm thinking is 6 over mid wicket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair point. Actually my strategy to all spin bowling is wait for the slightly short ball and plant it over mid wicket. Love small English grounds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we have a post about the use of smileys?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubris Harty should be his new nickname.

    ReplyDelete