Monday 5 September 2011

03/09/2011 - Highgate Woods


The grin of a man who's eyeing up a not out
I shall make it quick. Not much to tell from a personal point of view - 20 not out including comedy run out of non striker off the last ball as I dozed off and didn't actually realise it was the last ball, which made me look like a right team player. But a great game - a really interesting pitch. I've never seen one with so little bounce, and with so much turn for the spinners. And even better, they had a good one. Normally someone bowling left arm to me would get the treatment over midwicket (or I'd at least try), but this one needed soft hands, late play and solid footwork. Really, really enjoyed it, even if I didn't get to face many balls.

After him the seamers had realised that cutters were the way to go, and I don't mind announcing that, with most balls ragging away from me half a foot off the pitch, I really struggled. It either tore past the outside edge or didn't go and beat me on the inside. How I didn't get bowled I'll never know. The fall of wickets at the other end made it a bit easier because there was less pressure to play shots, so I just concentrated on trying to stick the bad ball away - but with the ball looking much the worse for wear due to the surface it was ones or twos all the way for me. A better player would probably have looked to clear cover, but, well, there's the blog title, right up there.

The game was relatively close but we won thanks to our own spinners, who bowled absolutely beautifully - how rare for them to get to bowl on what's essentially a subcontintal surface - and the opposition are not only decent cricketers but a top bunch with whom to hit the pub. It was a great day. Sad the season is coming to an end in two weeks....aren't I always.

No comments:

Post a Comment